Sunday, August 5, 2012

Dark, Even Darker, Winter : Aaron Hobson, the cinemascapist

I often hear the expression " a picture tells stories " when in reality most pictures leave you wanting to know more.There are times when you look at photographs and say did I leave the room, what is happening here ? Maybe photographs fall into two categories the literal and the poetic.The literal allows the viewer to create his own story,to think he knows. Understanding the poetic is always a bit more  elusive, it worries us so, there is never one story, one conclusion so we keep coming back.

I do not remember how or when I came upon the work of Aaron Hobson except that it was about three years ago. I emailed him to let him know that I was moved by his images.There is a sense of isolation and hurt that does not go away.I can not remember if I've ever spoken to Aaron but I still visit his site.
Attracted to his still frames that are parts of a larger epic. I have wonder at times that if this is a scripted autobiography maybe all will be revealed or not in the last reel.

Long Cold Night 
My Back Window
Faraway

Pest Control

Steel town

64 Mercury
I found this to be a difficult edit so once again I encourage you to visit his site www.aaronhobson.com/ 

I will say that this Cinemascapist site is well edit and undated easy to navigate.

all images copyright by Aaron Hobson the cinemascapist

2 comments:

  1. think you probably saw this first on thisphotothat, :) - J

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, I saw this work on thisphotothat and contacted Aaron directly from the link. Today I went to check old emails and there is an email from 8/10/2009 where the cinemascapist and I are discussing Chris Jordan. small world J

    ReplyDelete